28 Sep Top 10 Must Have Apps for Home Buyers
Gone are the days of driving from agency to agency to pick up physical brochures, or co-ordinating a list of ‘Open for Inspections’ for the weekend. This was all surpassed when real estate sites appeared on the internet, easing some of the stress and time commitment required for house hunting. It’s fair to say however, that since the inception of smart phones, searching for your dream home has never been easier.
If you’re looking to buy a home, investment property or even build your dream house, chances are there’s an app that could fit the bill.
From real estate portals to floor plan designs, here’s our top 10 property-related apps (available on Android and Apple devices) you’ll definitely want to check out:
Self-acclaimed as ‘Australia’s #1 Property Site’, it’s run by the REA group of whom News Corp are the majority owners. The app was launched in 2010 and since then has been downloaded a staggering 7.9 million times, holding a rating of 4.7/5 on Apple’s App Store.
- Search for a variety of property types to buy/rent in Australia
- Look up sale prices
- Gather price estimates for properties, both on/off market
- Set up alerts for new listings as they’re released
- Create personal collections i.e. ‘Auctions this weekend’
- View inspection times and create an inspection list
A subsidiary of CoreLogic who are Australia’s largest provider of property data and analytics, onthehouse.com.au boasts over 1.5 million visits a month. The website offers free listings for real estate agencies and agents, however more importantly, it provides data and interactive tools to help give buyers, sellers and investors a more in-depth understanding of the market with:
- Search sales histories including comprehensive data outlining sales price, date and method of sale
- Access descriptive profile reports on property within Australia including number of bedrooms/bathrooms, land size and land value
- Estimates of current property values
- REX analytics service to see property value movements within the region you’re searching
Owned by property analytics group RP Data, this clever app provides access to a range of property data, including sales history, ownership details, valuation and rental estimates. It has multiple search options such as address, name or parcel search. You can also use the app to access CoreLogic‘s market insights.
Only available to paying RP Data Professional subscribers (7 day trial available), this app is great for those people who like to have a deeper level of knowledge.
Once you know how much you need to save, the next step is getting there. It might seem silly to suggest too many smashed avocado breakfasts will derail your home-buying goals, but it is easy to get distracted from saving. Australian-designed Pocketbook keeps you focused by connecting to your bank account and tracking your spending. Automatically sorting your outlay into categories like groceries, coffee, fuel, clothes and bills helps you to understand where your funds are going to. You can set up individual goals, get warnings if you over-spend, get alerts about bank fees and handy bill reminders. Offering a snapshot of your spending, it makes saving easy and addictive
Ok ok, we may be a little bias on this one, but when it comes to finance, we’re changing the way Australian’s secure a home loan.
- Simple, hassle-free loan application process
- Advanced data collection & auto-form smart assist technology
- Secure & convenient document uploads & signing
- Progress alerts straight to your phone
- Dedicated Home Loan Specialist & priority communication
By combining real people support with smart technology, our online system lets you effortlessly share your information; quicker and more accurately than ever before. No more filling out paper forms, photocopying personal documents or hand-signed contracts by snail mail. We collect your information quickly and work behind the scenes to make it happen while you concentrate on more important things! Get started HERE
GAVL puts you in places that you can’t physically be. It’s a live-streaming auction app that has broadcast in excess of 5,000 live auctions since its launch in 2017. Here’s some of the main functions on the app:
- Watch and bid in real estate auctions in Australia/New Zealand live and free from anywhere in the world.
- Access auction results moments after they happen
- Browse and shortlist properties
- Follow and communicate with auctioneers and sales agents
- Obtain live alerts based on your sales criteria
This app is also suitable for anyone who is trying to choose an agent to sell their property, as they can watch a short list of candidates across a number of auctions and see how they perform in different circumstances. It is particularly handy for anyone living remotely from the property they need to sell as they can see this aspect of an agent’s performance first hand.
Interested in home design and decoration? The Houzz app offers renovation and design ideas, letting you browse millions of home décor photos sorted by style, location or room. You can also find architects, interior decorators and other tradespeople through the app, or virtually try products in your home with the My Room 3D function. This Californian website and app launched in Australia in 2014.
Without moving furniture, this app generates floor plans in several formats (PDF, JPG, DXF) from photos taken with your Android and Apple phones and tablets.
A key advantage is that it will produce a floor plan to scale. It is free to download and use, but drawings contain a watermark and you will have to pay to download other floorplans. It is said to be handy in generating comprehensive estimates and quotes for a home renovation and can be a useful tool for real estate agents, interior designers & stylists, architects, property inspectors, tradespeople, and more.